Thank you for your interest in volunteering at the Church of St. Columba!
A key to our commitment to promoting safe environments in our parishes, Catholic schools and communities is for all persons in positions of trust in regard to minors and vulnerable adults to fulfill the Essential 3 requirements (E3). All employees as well as any volunteer who has either regular or unsupervised interaction with youth or vulnerable adults are required to complete the E3, which consists of:
- Complete a Volunteer Application. Download and fill out the Volunteer Application Form. A link to the form can be found at the bottom of this page. Turn the completed form into the parish office at least two weeks prior to volunteering for service.
- Read and sign the Code of Conduct, including completing the online Code of Conduct Training, found on the ViIRTUS website.This must be completed prior to beginning employment or volunteer duties when interacting with youth.
- Submitting to a background check. This must be completed prior to beginning volunteer duties. All volunteers submitting to an initial background check must complete a paper copy of the 123b form. New volunteers must also complete the Previous Background Information Release. Please return these forms to the parish office. If you completed a background check within the previous 3 years at another site, please contact the parish office.
- Attending a VIRTUS Protecting God’s Children 3-hour live safe environment training. This must be completed within 30 days of beginning volunteer duties when interacting with youth. Any chaperones must complete prior to going off-site with youth.
- Viewing the Mandatory Reporting Training – “Reporting Suspected Child Abuse.”
You may sign the Code of Conduct, submit to the background check, and pre-register for an upcoming VIRTUS session via the www.virtus.org website. Attached are instructions on how to do so. The entire registration process will require approximately one hour and fifteen minutes.
If you have already attended a VIRTUS session in the Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis OR in another diocese that uses the VIRTUS program, please do not create a new account. Instead, contact. Cindy Smetana, St. Columba’s Safe Environment Coordinator. Please do not create a new account as attendance at a VIRTUS session generated an account for you.
If you have any questions, contact Cindy Smetana, Safe Environment Coordinator, or via phone during regular business hours, (651) 645-9179. Your participation in the Enhanced Essential 3 will make our local Church a safer environment for all. Thanks for doing all that you can to protect God’s children, particularly the most vulnerable among us!